Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bingo (and other stories)

Meredith never seemed to get particularly attached to any of her stuffed animals as a baby. I know some kids need a certain doll, toy, or blanket to fall asleep, but not her. Just something - anything- that is fuzzy and she can rub on her face will do.

This has, however, changed very recently. This week Meredith started spending more time carrying around a little stuffed dog that I got her a month or two ago, for 25 cents at the dollar store (yes, I shop the clearance bins at the dollar store). When we first got him, I tried to encourage her to name him, but had no luck. Besides things that already had names (like the ever-present Elmo) she hadn't ever named anything. When she got a baby doll for Christmas and we asked what the baby's name should be, she said "Meredith." Hmm. I tried to get her to call the dog "Husky" (you now know what the dog looks like) but it just didn't happen. He migrated to the bottom of the toy bin with so many other unnamed huggable creatures.

Then a couple of weeks ago I saw that she was playing with the dog. I asked what the dog's name was. She said "Bingo!". Well, isn't that something! She had known the tune to the Bingo song before, but it was always the version from her Christian preschool (which had completely different lyrics, culminating in J-E-S-U-S instead of B-I-N-G-O...or, in her case, "J-E-uh-uh-S"). However, I'd begun to hear her sing what sounded like the traditional version of the song about the dog named Bingo. I don't know where she learned it, but she definitely knew that Bingo was a dog, and apparently he was HER little toy Husky.

Bingo has now been joining us in the car sometimes, in the living room for playing with, at the dinner table occasionally to watch us eat, and in bed. Last night I put her in her bed (yes, bed! what a big girl!) and started to walk out as usual - she burst into tears and I went back over to her to find out what was going on. Through sobs, all she could say was "BINGO!!!". So I went and found him and brought him back. What a lucky little dog he is, to have a little girl love him so much.

In other news, Meredith is mastering all kinds of new songs, like the Zaccheus song and the B-I-B-L-E. I usually sing to her before bed - often a hymn - and she recently wanted a song about airplanes instead. I sang what I could think of...."Leavin' on a Jet Plane". She now LOVES this song and I am asked to sing it every night, and even sometimes before naptime. Thank you, John Denver and Peter, Paul, & Mary. Meredith also loves songs about angels, so if you have any ideas I would love to replace some the angel-related Christmas songs I am still singing in late February at her request.

Meredith also recently did something that seems to be a tradition in my family - she created a name for McDonald's that is not quite right. My brother used to call it "Mickey Donalds" as a kid, and my cousin called it "Uncle Mickey's". Meredith has joined their ranks with a declaration of "Old McDonald's!" whenever we drive past the golden arches. Let me note that I can count on one hand the number of times she has been inside a McDonald's, so for all I know, she is pretty sure that inside there is a cow, and a pig, and a sheep....

We are about 3 weeks away from the birth of the baby we will be adopting from Jacksonville! Watch this blog for details about him (he's a boy!) and for directions to a new yet-to-be-created blog that will chronicle the adventures of our new, larger family. Just as Meredith's role as complete center of attention must change, the blog that carries only her name - magnificent though it is - must also be retired.

10 comments:

Miracle Balsitis said...

Thanks for the great update. So excited about Meredith and all her developments. And wow, the new baby is going to be born so soon. Our little boy is due in about four weeks, so they will be so close in age. Too bad we are not closer in distance! I'd love to have play dates with both our kids! Congrats you guys and praise God.

Dianne Zandstra said...

Hi Sara,

When you asked about angel songs I thought of one that I learned, of all places, in Girl Scouts in the Netherlands. I think it's an old spiritual. It goes like this:

Refrain (before, after, and between verses:

All night, all day,
Angels watching over me, my Lord,
All night, all day,
Angels watching over me.

Verses:

Day is dying in the west,
Angels watching over me, my Lord;
Sleep, my child, and take your rest,
Angels watching over me.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
Angels watching over me, my Lord,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
Angels watching over me.

Let me know if you'd like me to try and track down the music for that.

Dianne

Dianne Z said...

Oops, I know better than to spell your name without an h. Sorry.
Dianne

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you are such a wonderful writer! You must take after a parent or two! :-)

The new entry is wonderful. Yes, our little girls growing up! She sure is full of personality!

Cannot wait to see you ALL in 6 weeks...
Love, Mom

P.S. Have a fun,fun shower this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Ummm......girl's !

Sarah said...

Thanks everyone! Miracle, I wish we were nearby too! We haven't even gotten to meet Elsa yet and now you'll have a little boy too!

Dianne, we think we recognize that song so thanks for the reminder!

And the spelling corrections gave both me and Rob a good chuckle, mostly because we both noticed the errors before we saw that you corrected them!

Anonymous said...

Adorable stories! Getting excited for you on the birth of your baby boy!!!

The EnrĂ­quez-Zandstra family said...

I was just wondering how things were going for you--Meredith's latest, and the progress on the adoption. Thanks for a well-written entry that made me smile more than once! (Also smile-inducing: the comments and pursuant spelling corrections. I would have done the same thing! :-) )

Warm greetings from a warm (late-summer) Santa Cruz, Bolivia, from the three of us.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks