Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cookies

Today Meredith was having a snack - a little bowl of crackers - and some milk. I remembered that we had some cookies on the counter that needed to get eaten up, and I figured I'd give her a treat.

Me: "Do you want a cookie?"
Meredith: "Cooo-kie!" (and a big nod)

So I got her a cookie and we sat here eating our cookies together (you figured that I got one too, right?). I asked her to take some drinks of milk, which she did sometimes (other times, it was the polite "no"). At one point, she grabbed one of her crackers with her free hand and put it in her mouth. I think she must have just been spacing out and forgetting there was a cookie in one hand already....the reason I think this is that she put the cracker in her mouth and then immediately removed it and handed it to me, still whole. Apparently when you pit crackers against cookies, crackers do not win. Well, who didn't know that? But it's good to know she figured it out too.

After the cracker mistake, she pointed to the bowl of crackers....

Meredith: "Coooo-kie!"
Me: "You have a cookie in your hand. Those are crackers."
Meredith: (continuing to point at the bowl) "Cooo-kie!"
Me: "Cracker"
Meredith: (pointing inside the bowl) "Coooo-kie".

Would you believe it? I had served her crackers in a Sesame Street bowl that had Cookie Monster on the bottom of it (you can only see him when you are running low on food in it). When I realized this I said "Oh! Cookie MONSTER!". She made a very happy sound indicating that I had finally understood what she was telling me, and then kissed Cookie Monster through the remaining crackers.

Those crackers are still there, but the cookie....well, that's long gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too cute!

WICarrie said...

I recently asked Elias if he wanted a cookie (of course he did), but then I gave him a cracker. I was using "cookie" as a generic term for baked wheat-based product. But Elias looked at the cracker in his hand, back up at me, and said "cracker--COOKIE?" Ah. I must be more precise.

Canadi-Ann said...

Sarah, way too adorable. Another generation of Cookie Monster lovers.